Experience with E46 323 Performance Upgrades?

I currently lease a 2000 323i.  I'm considering buying the car since my
lease is almost up.  If I do buy the car, I'd like to do some performance
upgrades (Software, Cold Air Intake, Exhaust, etc.).  Does anyone have any
experience with performance upgrades on an E46 323 and what were your
results?  I'd like to get the 0-60 time down in the low six seconds, but I'm
not sure if that's possible.  I don't want to spend more than about $2000 on
the upgrades.  Thank you for any input.

Steve