Re: Making my '92 325i reliable

My thoughts:

I have 137K on my 92 325i and the only problem that made the car undrivable
was the TPS failure.  Car started and just plain not driving, sputtered home
parked it, checked the codes, got the TPS code, one phone call and I had a
new one the next morning.  Very easy to replace.

The early cars had plastic impeller water pumps and gave problems, my car
which I bought with 76K on looked like it had been done.

These cars have timing chains rather than belts, and are supposed to last
the life of the engine so no worries there.

I personally think that you are better off saving your money for whatever
does break and maintainance of course, rather than wasting resources
replacing things that may give you no trouble for another one hundred
thousand miles, like an alternator.

I would definitely do the radiator and all water hoses by 150K, just an
arbitrary number, I think they are replaced on condition.

This is an interesting subject to me for obvious reasons, so what do other
people think?

Hans Conser

on 4/27/02 6:03 AM, bmw-digest at owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 08:02:48 -0400
> From: "Henry Kim" <henry.kim@domain.elided>
> Subject: RE: Making my '92 325i reliable
>
> What about the head studs?  They are a common point of failure and if
> they haven't been taken care of, they probably should be.  Potentially
> catastrophic failure.
>
> We assume the timing belt has been changed at the required intervals.
> If not, you better look after that.

End of bmw-digest V9 #2115