re window switches

Kevin Elmore asked:
 <elmorekevin@domain.elided>
Subject: E30, E28, E23 Window Switches

Are all of these window switches the same?  I'm trying to get some
illuminated switches for my '86 E23, but am not completely sure if the
illuminated ones from the E30 and E28 will work.  Anybody have one of
those
nifty parts CDs?

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin,
The parts CD shows the E28 & E30 illuminated window switch to be the
same part number:
61 31 1 381 205

The CD indicates the E23 window switch is 61 31 1 364 169.
There is no information about the contacts etc for either in the parts
CD.  However there is a very helpful (although probably copyright
violating) website:
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru:8001/CAR/BMW/1988/535i/WIRING%20DIAGRAMS/fi
g11.pdf
that shows the illumination power coming from the same "ignition on"
power source as the window motor power being switched.  The lamp just
has its own ground.
Illuminated switch pins:
1: To Motor (doesn't indicate if + up or down, just BLK wire)
3: Ignition switched power RED wire.
4: from Motor - to ground BRN
5: Lamp to ground BRN
8: To Motor on (doesn't indicate if + up or down, just BLU wire)

If the switches are different size, than the E23 console aperture
hopefully the illuminated switch would be a bit larger and you could
file or Dremel to accept.

Try this for your 735i diagrams:
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru:8001/CAR/BMW/1987/735i/WIRING%20DIAGRAMS/

Steve Poland