Engine Diagnosis

I've just replaced my head gasket after having the head pressure-tested
and resurfaced.  The car is having serious trouble starting, but it runs
fine once started.  I've checked everything I can think of, and today I
found a LOT of coolant in my oil (milky foam on the dipstick and the
filler cap).  Also, I'm seeing white steam in the exhaust, but it doesn't
look like much oil is burning.

Today's tests--
dry compression(1->6): 168, 168, 159, 170, 160, 149psi (spec. 142-156psi)
wet compression(1->6): 180, 180, 178, 176, 180, 180psi
vacuum test: fairly steady at 12.5" Hg (spec. 15-22" Hg)

I may have an air leak to explain the low vacuum, (my valve cover seal is
very questionable) but I can't test that yet.

I'm afraid the head is cracked (or maybe the block), but I am wondering
if there might be another way for coolant to get in the oil (and
exhaust).  Is it possible to check for a cracked head while it's still in
the car?  Would pressurizing the coolant system provide any information?

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
Rob
9/88 325i, 147K-mi

End of bmw-digest V9 #2107