<E30> Coolant/Heater Hoses

My '89 (built 9/88) 325i has a bypass valve in front of the heater
inlet/outlet.  I'm replacing all of my old hoses, but the replacement
hoses (for '88-on) don't fit right... they don't allow me to include the
bypass valve without twisting and constricting the hoses.  The new hoses
attach directly to the heater inlet/outlet.

Can anyone help explain what's going on?  My parts supplier and my local
BMW dealer can find the bypass valve (if I give them the part number), but
they don't know why it doesn't work with the new hoses.

I presume, that if I remove the bypass valve, coolant won't be able to
circulate fully unless I've got the heat turned on (open the heater
valve).

Thanks for any ideas,
Rob