Re: <E46> 330i power increase for 2003?

Greg,

There haven't been any announcements yet regarding displacement increases or
power increases for the 3-series.

As far as choosing between a 3-series BMW or one of it's competitors, it
depends on whether you choose to select a car based on spec sheets, or based
on the driving experience.

Car and Driver compared some of these cars to the BMW, (it's not on their
website yet), and selected the 330i as #1.  And, SURPRISE!, even the staid
reviewers at Consumer Reports have rated the 3-series and 5-series BMWs as
Best Buys.  The fact that BMW can still build a "driver's car" and appeal to
the mainstream says alot for BMW's development.

It also depends on what you want in a car.  Not everyone can appreciate the
qualities that make a BMW "a BMW".  With all of the technical advancements
that the Japanese manufacturers have made, and even Mercedes and Audi, they
still haven't captured the FEEL of a true driver's car the way BMW has.

But then, your driving needs and desires will determine whether you can
truly appreciate a driver's car.  Not everyone can, and it's not a bad thing
whether they can or not.

If you drive the Acura TL-S, Nissan Maxima/Infinity I35/Altima 3.5, Lexus
IS300, and only see a price comparison and/or specification comparison, buy
the car with the specs and/or price that appeals to you.

BMW's biggest deficiency is their support network.  The quality of their
dealer network varies widely, and most people include their service
experiences when they judge the overall experience with a manufacturer.
Lexus spends more time than any of the others to insure that the service and
dealer experience is better than the others, and the ratings show that
they're successful.

If BMW could get this right, they would certainly steal business from their
competitors.

My $0.02...

- -rb