528e heater

Could someone explain to me how the heater in the 528e works??  My 528e lost
heat this winter and now that it's warm out, I'm trying to figure out what's
wrong.  I have found the obstruction to be the water control valve which is
underneath the brake master cylinder.  Now, can I remove this from the car
without any problems, or will that cause the car to have heat all of the
time?  The whole system seems complicated.  ANY help would be appreciated!

Thanks.