Road trip tips

Hello Alfa and Bimmer nuts,
I'm going to be making a road trip over spring break, heading west from
College Station Texas (between Austin and Houston).  Depending on when me and
my girlfriend get out of here, we're aiming for the grand canyon and possibly
all the way to the left coast.  We are just going to throw a tent and some
sleeping bags in the trunk and follow our noses west.
I'd like to see as much scenic, twisty stuff as possible on this trip, so I'd
like to hear from you on fun roads/routes to take.  Right now we are thinking
about hitting Carlsbad Caverns, Petrified forest, and the Grand Canyon, but
we weren't planning on making definite plans about where we're going, so
anything's possible (as long as it's cheap!).  Any attractions that are
automotive related are a plus, but historical, natural, or musical
attractions are just as welcome.  Anything blues related out there?  My
girlfriend wants to see unusual roadside attractions.  I was thinking maybe
route 66 as well.
I'll probably be driving my new (to me) 87 325i which I'm getting next week,
but I may talk my girlfriend into roughing it in the spider, (probably not,
but . . .).
Anybody feel like following (or leading) us to any of these or other
attractions?
Anyway, let me know where the twisties are!!
Thanks,
Jake Hahn
Bryan, TX
Texas A&M
87 Alfa Spider
89 BMW 325i (totalled parts car, let me know if you need parts off it.
Recently hit it in driver's door)
87 BMW 325i (getting it in a few days when the insurance check finally
comes).