E36 Heater core R&R

I decided to tackle one of the worst jobs on the car, replacing the
heater core.  I went on the assumption that $700 for replacement of a
$150 part was a premium I could save by a weekend's worth of sweat
equity.  Well, I've belatedly reconsidered that point of view.  So now
I'm stuck by single screw and would dearly appreciate help from any
other masochists who have chosen to take this challenge and actually
succeeded.

To gain access to the heater core you must first remove the heater front
box.  It is held in place by seven T20 torx fasteners.  I got 6 of them
out with a variety of contortions and prior removal of other parts, but
I am hopelessly stuck on the 7th one.  This one is located right next to
the glove box and is protected by a metal plate welded at either end to
structural tubing that supports the dashboard.  Removing the structure
seems almost impossible, though it theoretically could be done.  I have
tried a variety of approaches, including sacrificing a torx screwdriver
by heating and bending it to an offset to reach the screw from the top,
which is the only access there is.  The other option I am considering is
drilling a hole in the metal plate in line with the screw so that I can
access the screw with a screwdriver in the normal way.

I am appreciative of any help and suggestions.  I haven't driven my car
in over a month and I'm suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms.

Peter Rossato
'94 325is "VDERZEN"
NCC Chapter BMWCCA

End of bmw-digest V9 #2073