scrapping old cars?

Check out S.1766 at http://thomas.loc.gov/home/c107bills.html
This is the Energy Policy Act of 2002.  Specifically see
DIVISION C--DIVERSIFYING ENERGY DEMAND AND IMPROVING EFFICIENCY
TITLE VIII--FUELS AND VEHICLES
Subtitle A--Increased Vehicle Fuel Efficiency
SEC. 803. ASSISTANCE FOR STATE PROGRAMS TO RETIRE FUEL-INEFFICIENT MOTOR
VEHICLES.

This increases the incentives to scrap cars made more than 15 years ago.

Would this make it harder for us to maintain our older cars?  Would
pick-a-part type junkyards ("used part recyclers") be more eager to crush
them, than to make them available for us to glean NLA parts?  Would parts
vendors (both OE and aftermarket) be less eager to manufacture and sell
parts for our cars?

Some classic car clubs (e.g. my uncle with his lovely 57 Ford Skyliner
Retractable Hardtop) are getting pretty worked up over this.  Should we?
- --
Bob Sutterfield
'87 E30 325iS http://bmwe30.net #1129
'88 E28 535iS http://m535i.org   #154