Cold Weather Noises

I've got a 1995 318is with 130k + on the clock. Sometimes when it is really
cold (20-32 degrees, haven't gotten any colder than 20 here) and I go out to
start the car after it's been sitting outside in the weather for 4+ hours,
there is an odd noise that comes from the driver's side part of the hood (I
believe). The only way I could really describe it would be it's as if the car
is "coughing" if you will. It's a creaking noise. I figured it might be a
really cold body panel/part just creaking around in the cold.

Any ideas?
Thanks.