<E30> Voltage Drop Problem?

I've removed the instrument cluster in my 1987 325 and sent it off for
odometer repairs. Since I don't have another car right now, I've still been
driving it around. However, this evening I noticed that my headlights were
dim and all the other lights were dim too. Is this caused by the removal of
the cluster? I know the SI stuff is in there to take records and such, but
would this affect the drivability of the car? I haven't checked the
alternator or anything just yet -- too dark and too tired right now, but I'd
appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks again list members.

Sincerely,
Aaron Young