733i ignition upgrade

Hi,
My 1983 733i has a performance problem at around 2500 an up on the tach. The
engine bogs/surges in all gears at the same tach range. When stepping on the
gas at 2500 rpm, the car accelerates, but the engine feels bogged. When I then
let my foot of the gas the tach rises 1000 or so rpm and the engine feels
good.I cant't give it gas  over 2500rpm's without this happening. All is
perfect below 2500rpm. Around 37 psi fuel pressure at the fuel injector
manifold. The idle control unit and valve are pulsing away correctly. Are a
these symptoms familiar to anyone?
Thanks,
Mark Lima

83 733i