(Z3,M5) engine warmed up?

Being a Z3 owner, I have a question regarding the "warm up lights" on the M5
tach.  Is that a measure of coolant temperature, oil temperature or some
other other engine temperature?  Does it rise (lights go out) according to
the engine temp guage, or does it work seperately?  I guess what I'm trying
to find out is when my Z3 temp guage reaches the normal operating level, can
I rev it, or are there other engine components (or oil) that take more time
to warm up.  Thanks.

- -Ryan
'01 Z3 2.5i