Re: U-Haul auto transport trailer weight?

Your GVWR is 6400 lbs with a payload of 1770 leaving a vehicle weight of
4630; max towing is 7550. Safe towing requires the tongue weight to be
12-15% of the trailer and this goes against the payload. A 2002 M3 weighs
3415; I'll assume your '98 is close enough to that; trailer will be around
1,000 giving a tow weight of 4415 - so you'll have a tongue weight of
530-660 lbs. This leaves 1110-1240 payload (this includes you, fuel,
baggage, etc). Assuming worst case that the trailer weighs 2,000 lbs this
makes the tongue weight 650-830 and payload of 940-1120.

On all counts you're well within the manufacturer's specs.

What kind of hitch do you have? Do NOT by any means even consider using a
clamp-on hitch from U-Haul; you need a Class IV hitch which handles up to
10,000 lbs. gross weight and 1,200 lbs. hitch weight. Some would say that a
Class III would work with ratings of 5,000 and 500 but this is treading just
a bit too close to the line. Can't have too much hitch and the price delta
is minimal.

Performance won't be great; it'll be sluggish. Just how sluggish depends on
the rear-end ratio. This should show on a sticker under the hood. Expect gas
mileage of 6-8mpg. If you've never tied a vehicle down to a trailer before
get someone to help you; there's the right way and all the other ways. Let's
not have that M3 come loose on the highway.

Have you ever towed before?