Re: best DIY mechanic tools?

First, all you need is metric.  But, if you have an older American car or
need the versatility, the Metrinch tools are worth considering.  They work
on both metric and SAE and are said to be good quality.

Tool snobs are going to tell you to buy nothing but Snap-on or Mac or
similar.  But, I have both Snap-on and Craftsman but for the average
driveway mechanic, there's not much difference.  The Snap-on is supposedly
made with higher grade steel but I've never seen any benefit from it.  The
only thing I look for is an unlimited lifetime warranty.

If you're just starting out, my suggestion is to pick up some of the garage
trade mags and look for someone advertising used stuff.  You can find good
deals on complete tool sets with cabinets being sold by retiring mechanics.

Henry