Re: E46 M3

Dick--

As the car should have had the oil topped off at the 1200 mile break-in
service, you may have lost about a liter after 2500 miles.  Owner's
Manual says difference between high and low lines on dipstick is 1.2
liters or 1.4 quarts.  Did you follow the exact procedure in the manual
(and on the sticker in the engine bay) when you checked the level?  If
you don't, you risk over-filling it, which is worse than running it a
bit low.

Contrary to what Henri wrote (and BMW did specify their 5W-30 synthetic
for a while), the spec for the E46 M3 engine is now Castrol 10W-60
oil--not very thin.  About the only place to get this oil is a BMW
dealer.  It comes in liters, and the labels are in German.  I keep a
liter bottle (in a heavy-duty zip-lock bag) in the niche in the
styrofoam above the mobility kit in my M5.  You can use Mobil One 15W-50
in a pinch.

These engines, which are close to racing design, will burn more oil than
most.  I wouldn't worry unless the consumption goes below one quart per
thousand miles.  The consumption should lessen as you put more miles on
the car, though; it's barely broken in now.  If the consumption stays
high, or gets worse, that may be a sign that the engine wasn't broken in
properly, which is a possibility if the car was used as a demo...

- --Jonathan
01M5 (burns one liter every 4000 miles, now at 18,000 miles)
95M3 (down about a half liter when changing at 7,000 miles, now at
185,000 miles)
02M3 (not yet delivered)