Re: coolant replacement

Wes,
I performed the same procedure on my M3 without any difficulties and with
about 10 out of 11 quarts/liters of coolant coming out.
It is very strange that no coolant came out of the engine block. Did you
have the radiator cap removed at the time? It's highly unlikely that the
coolant system's vacuum would prevent the liquid from coming out.
Another thing to consider would be the heater core. On the older cars it
helps to crank the heater temp all the way into red to open the core and
allow the coolant to drain out. On climate controlled E36s you would have
to crank both temperature zones to max high and see if that opens the
heater core with the engine off. Might need to turn the ignition on to
power all the actuators.

HTH,
alex f

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Wwwdrw@domain.elided  |
|         |           Sent by:        |
|         |           owner-bmw@digest|
|         |           .net            |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           01/21/02 08:04  |
|         |           PM              |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |        To:      bmw@domain.elided                                                                                |
  |        cc:                                                                                                    |
  |        Subject: coolant replacement                                                                           |

I have a 1998 328i.  I attempted to drain and replace coolant myself today.

I had car on front ramps, drained plug under radiator.  Only 3-4 qtrs came
out.  I then removed plug from block between 4-5 cyclinder and nothing came

out.  I filled with about 4 qtrs straight coolant from BMW but feel job is
very incomplete.  car has a capacity of about 11 qtrs.  Help!!

Wes

- --