squeaking from 525i

hey crew,

my 91 e34 m50 has a pulsating squeak that occurs when the engine is warm.  it
speeds up and slows down with the rpm's and is non-existent when the car is
cold.

i first thought belts, but they are in good shape, tight and dressed with
belt-ease.  still i have the squeak.

i've never heard a water pump make this sound before, but it is clearly coming
from that area and i have started using some coolant (not much, but the level
has decreased).

before i rip into a new water pump, any other suggestions as to what could be
causing this?  the car runs like a top and gives me no other problems.

thanks in advance to all

steve j.

'91 525i m50