325is Hard to Start

My 88 325is has gotten hard to start recently.

I had no problems until I let it set for about 10 days over Christmas holiday.

When I went to start it, it cranked and cranked like it was almost going to
catch but never did.  I had to leave but came back in about 2 hours, then
cranked and cranked and cranked until it did actually start.  There was a
burst of black smoke but settled down in about 10 seconds and ran OK.

As long as I drive it every day, it has been OK.  I did not drive it Sunday
and had a tough time starting it on Monday.

What is going on??

TIA

George Barrowcliff,
Amerisource Bergen Corporation