Re: E28 M535 Automatic Transmission

I disagree........because the torque converter on a 4HP22EH does not ever lock
up in 1 or 2 gear.

There were many modifications to these early production 4 speed
electro hydraulic auto trans. Anything less than a rebuilt revised unit
with all the updates is a waste of time.

For example:
The early solenoids clog up with particles....
The front clutch pack burn up at idle in N and P and some say even in
Reverse....
The was a modification to the trans case.....etc. etc

After the engineering  updates, the trans is very good for 200K+ miles.....
Btw, ZF still makes the 4HP22 model trans. for Land Rovers.

Henri