86 325ES Experiences on Maintenance (2 different cars)

1st Car
Here is my experience with a car that had 200K when I bought it.
First of all the car was owned by the same lady since 94 and I bought it
from her in 01. Car needed work and I knew it. Brake pads in the front had
ruined the rotor on one side. No big deal as I planned to replace the brakes
all around anyway.
Car had seen very little scheduled maintenance since 99 or so.
I have put new rotors and brake pads all around, rebuilt all calipers,
install SS lines and replace the exhaust from the cat back.
New clutch as the throw out bearing was shot and replaces all seals at the
same time.
Planning on replacing the heater coil and controller as the heater out puts
no heat with the controller in max position. You can not feel the resistance
when rotating the temp knob. Seats all work but one has wear on the drivers
entry side.
Owner had a new radiator replaced and I bet I know why, no coolant changes
as scheduled in the manual so toasted the radiator but it took 13 years to
do so.
Replaced the instrument panel with one that had a better SI battery and will
put new batteries in the old one as a replacement. Replaced the battery as
the SI board was always lite and toasted the battery as well..
Both fuel pumps are shot, have new ones that will be installed when I do the
heater coil and controller.
New ICV as the old one passed all tests and was not gummed up but once warm
the sealing passages that move this solenoid were bad or the spring was bad.
Either way it needed replaced as it would not pull the idle down. Windshield
wiper pump replaced, two lights with stone chips replaced, rear light
assemblies replaced as they were cracked.
Power antenna was also shot, passengers window motor was shot, replaced
both.
I have new control arm bushings and will replace the ones in the car as they
are also shot. I am sure the struts are shot too but don't really effect the
car handling. Rear shocks in my opinion seem to not wear out but will also
replace those with a good Turbo Boge.

So as you can see you can get a car that will need many things replaced.
None of these were that hard to do and I knew going in the car was going to
need work.

Why buy this car?
Rust free Florida car with a good straight body, good interior, 325ES looks
and $1200 for the car.

I guess I like driving the car and once I finish a few of these yet to do
items the car will be reliable for a long time.
Car has never let me down and even in a poor state of maintenance you can
bring them back.

2nd car
Maintained on schedule and picked the car up at 160K. replaced the
instrument panel with a used one, replaced the windshield wiper pump. Clutch
is heavy and will need replaced but over all a car maintained on schedule
needs very little work but oil and fluid changes.
Both cars are 86 325ES models and the one that was in poor shape will soon
be close to the other model well maintained.
Both are great cars on gas, 28-30 mpg at 75 mph. Smooth and quite with no
rattles.
YMMV
I need a car for the airport so I use the 86 325ES rather then get door
dents in my M-3.
Brad

Henri wrote:
>A 12-15 year old  E30 is no bargain unless you are
>a life long mechanic. These cars have major wear >cycles at 100K and at
150K miles. Ask me how I >know........
>If it's important for the car to be 95-100% correct, >then a 3500-4500
dollar E30 with 100k will likely be >a black hole for money.
>100K
>complete front suspension rebuild w/struts
>new steering rack
>new rear wheel bearings
>new injectors
>new ICV
>new ICV ECU
>new radiator
>new in tank-fuel pump
>new SI board
># 5 and #6 cylinder burning  oil because the >cylinders wearing slightly
oval......very common on >the ETA.
>new temp sender
>new wiring harness ignition
>new fan clutch
>new alternator brushes
>new thermostat housing
>150K
>new driveshaft
>front wheel bearings
>new O2 sensor
>new intrument cluster contact board
>new starter (this was a bitch to install.......)
>new AC temp control block under dash.  (ditto......)
>new catalytic converter
>Automatic trans probably on its last legs.....(~$1350 >for a ZF rebuilt)

>I would only recommend such cars to people who >*enjoy* wrenching as a
hobby........
>Henri
- --

- --