Re: bmw-digest V9 #2001

Robert,

I will base my comments on the $10k budget.

E30 325i/is - great dual purpose car, well within the budget

E36 325i/is - nice upgrade but close to budget limit
E36 328i/is - over the budget and not much different than the 325
E36 318ti - super fun car. less power than an E30 325i, but more than the
eta.  It requires different driving style since it doesn't have the torque
that you are use to.  Having less power will actually help you at driving
schools, as you will learn how to carry more speed thru the corners to keep
pace w/ higher hp cars. Plus it is a hatchback, which allow you to haul
loads of crap.  Prefect for a student.

M3s.
E30 M3 - fabulous car but I wouldn't recommend to a college student on a
budget.
In the $10k range you will find rats. Poorly maintained cars that will drain
your wallet and cause you to hate the car. Don't do it.  Wait until you
graduate and then by one.  At that time buy the nicest car you can afford.
Unless you are a great wrench, this will be much cheaper than fixing one.

E36 M3 - almost double the budget.

I recommend you look at the E30 325i/is or the E36 318ti.

t.
91 m3 2.5 koalapower
95 318ti club sport