'99 MZ3 noise when cold

Hi all...

I am hearing a "screeching" noise when I cold start up my '99 MZ3.  It
kind of sounds like a belt, but it seems to happen more when I let the
clutch out.  If I just rev the motor, it doesn't happen, but if I
engage a gear and move the car, it does.  But, the noise seems to be
more related to the clutch engagement rather than the car rolling.

That being said, the noise seems to be coming from the front of the
motor, not near the motor/tranny coupling.

It goes away about 30 seconds after starting, i.e. I can't reproduce
it after that.

Any ideas on what this could be?  It's going to the dealer for regular
service soon, and I'd like to be prepared with an intelligent place
for them to start looking.

Thanks!

/greg

- --