Another BMW in the family fold...calling all parts cars!!!

Hi All,

Just bought a black '87 325is 5speed with 130,000 miles from the guy down
the street.  I've always admired that car, it's in great shape and we're
good friends, both driving e30 BMWs and all.  I saw him washing it today
and he told me he was moving to Chicago (I live in California) and needed
to sell the car quickly.  After a little haggling I bought it for a pretty
good price.  I'm trying to decide whether to turn it into a track car (I
want to start participating in SCCA events) or give it to my girlfriend,
who is currently driving my '88 cabriolet and loves it.   It does need some
work though:

1. power steering fluid leaks profusely from a tear in the high pressure
hose.  It's all gone within three days he says.  Is this hose replaceable
by a shadetree mechanic (me)?  Doesn't sound like a difficult
job.  Surprisingly, the steering works decently without the power boost.

2. Interior fan is dead.  This will be a time consuming job...builds
character, eh?  Maybe I'm lucky and it's just the switch.

3. The entire front spoiler is missing.  I never really liked those huge
fiberglass spoilers they put on the '86-87 es/is models anyway.  I want to
put on the small lip spoiler that's on my '88 cabriolet with similar
under-bumper foglamps.  Does anybody have these parts to sell?  Or perhaps
I should find some front and rear euro bumpers...the chrome kind.  Are they
difficult to retrofit?

4.  The glovebox is a wreck.  Anybody have one they will let go of?  Don't
need the latch, I just want the box itself.

5. The drivers side taillamp lens is broken.  Need one of those too.

If you have a parts car and could combine any parts in a package deal that
would be nice.  Once that's done, all should be well.  One thing weird that
I noticed is that the '87 has the same bumper style as my '88 cabriolet,
yet the metal bumpers are tucked in much farther into their rubber sheath
on my '88.  Any explanation for this?  Thanks for any help you can give,
and wish me luck on my new acquisition.

Jay Karolyi
1988 Royalblau BMW 325i Cabriolet 5-speed (109,000 miles and counting fast)
1987 Black BMW 325is coupe 5-speed (130,000 miles)

End of bmw-digest V9 #2000