E39 computer fault codes:

Does anyone out there have any idea how to access the computer fault codes
on the E39.  On the E34 I owned before this car the Bentley book explained
hoe to read the fault codes when you got a check engine light.  The method
for the E34 doesn't work for the E39.  Does anyone know when a Bentley
manual for the E39 will be introduced?  I am tired of paying BMW $118 to
change a wiper relay when I knew what was wrong but couldn't find the
parts.(Hidden under the passenger side micro filter)

Al Halpern