Re: 134a A/C conversion

Hey Tom,
I have a 92 525iT and just did the conversion this past summer with
fantastic results.  You don't necessarily need to buy a new compressor.
I had my original compressor rebuilt since it had the exactly right
mounting holes.  The aftermarket ones that I saw had adaptor brackets,
from which I always shy away.  BMW engineering is almost always better
than some aftermarket company's attempt to make their compressor fit.  (I
do know folks, however, that have used the Sanden and been pleased.)  The
second reason I went with the rebuild is that the new aftermarket
compressors come with a 1 year warranty and that is what I got on my
rebuild.

Concerning stuff to replace.  I replaced:
	1) the drier
	2) the expansion valve
	3) ALL the o-rings in the entire system
Labor involved:
	1) flushing all of the parts with a solvent designed to clear all R-12
oils out of the system.  I 		used a Castrol brand A/C flush.
	2) Add the appropriate type of R-134A oil (I used the ester oil, others
recomend the PAG oil.)
	2) pulling a vacuum and charging the system with about 4.2 lbs. of
R-134A.

It cools wonderfully in Fort Worth, Texas 100+ temp.

Good luck,

James boyd