Clutch wear measurement "in place"?

Among other things, it's time to have the driveshaft/center bearing rebuilt,
and replace the shift linkage wear components on my '89 325i (235,000 miles).
Is there any way to measure the installed thickness of the clutch disk
without dropping the trans? (I have calipers, etc.- could make up a stack of
feeler gauges and measure them, I guess, if I can get access).  Certainly
I'll be "in the neighborhood" down there, don't mind doing the job, but the
clutch seems fine, so I'll skip it if the disk is less than 50% worn. Anyone
know what the "installed" thickness of a new disk is, and  the wear limit?

TIA

George W. Traminer
Martinez, CA