e34 540 catalytic converter

Hello,
My friend has a 94 540i. His mechanic told him that one of the two catalytic
converters is worn. Basically the internal ceramic matrix is broken, so you
can hear the inside pieces rattling around. Ultimately I guess this can
cause higher exhaust back pressure. He was quoted $1400 for a new BMW
converter plus $600 labor. These seem a little high to me, but there may be
more to it than is obvious. I found on ultimategarage.com a DEC brand
converter for $410. Is there much difference? How hard is this job, anyhow?
I replaced a muffler on an e36, and it was not too bad. To replace the cat
con, is any significant disassembly required, like the driveshaft or
something like that?

Thanks
Greg
g_steinke@domain.elided