To disconnect idiot lights, or not disconnect idiot lights, that is my idiotic question.

Whether t'is nobler to reset the oil service and service maintenance lights on
my 1988 528e is the EFQ.

I know one can reset these two indicators by shorting pins with a special
tool, but is there instead a wire or lightbulb into the back of the instrument
cluster that I can disconnect to accomplish this goal?

I want to keep my Check Engine light, but I change my own oil and track the
car's every repair, so do not need the oil service and service maintenance
reminders.

Many thanks in advance.

Tom Borden
teborden2@domain.elided