Re:bent subframe

bmw-digest wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:39:18 -0600
> From: "James H. BOYD III" <byoda@domain.elided>
> Subject: What are the symptoms of a bent front subframe?
>
> Hello all,
> I have a 535is and when I hit dips in the road, the steering wheel pulls
> slightly to the left if I am holding the wheel loosely.  It was run over
> a curb before I bought it.  It apparently hit so hard, even the spare
> tire in the trunk got dented in addition to the four on the car (ok, that
> could have been a different curb).  The point it, I have replaced the
> struts, the center tie rod, the idler arm, and it does it even with the
> sway bar off.  I have replaced the left control arm (lower-curvy one)
> with no change.  I am about to change the right one as well, but I had
> pressed a 750 bushing into the right one a couple of years ago.  Now the
> ball joint is a little worn.  Might the subframe be causing this?  The
> entry by the gentleman in RI needing a subframe made me wonder.
>
> Any info would be greatly appreciated,
>
> James Boyd

James,
One of the cardinal rules of suspension work...replace parts in pairs!
I would suspect since you changed one control arm and not the other you
are experiencing
some mismatching of old with newer bushings/ball joints. Always have
been told by experienced mechanics...these things gotta be done in
pairs. sounds like a worn ball joint to me.
- --
Paul Schnettler
UW-SSEC	 Univ. of Wisconsin - Space Science & Engineering Center
1225 W. Dayton St. Rm#547
Madison, WI  53706