Re: Forced induction

Thanks to those who answered my post about my modified turbo for my forced
induction project.

First, it appears that my fear about side loading of the shaft was founded.
This has been confirmed by many fellow listers.

Second, I got comments about the turbo speed that should spin around 25KRPM
and more.  In my original plans, I figured that if the crank pulley was 6"
and the turbo pulley 2", (ratio of 3:1) and an engine speed of 6500 rpm,
20000rpm would be possible on the turbo without using complex pulley
arangement to multiply the speed. But it's not important any more.

Also, I've been suggested to swap to a 325 engine. I don't like this idea
because it will certainly cost more (engine, tranny, ECU) and the power
gain will be quite small. My M42 is rated at 137hp and the 325 engine (E30)
is 167, so it's only 30hp more.  I was looking for something in between
200-225hp.  A swap to a 330 engine would be the solution but added to the
cost of the swap (quite new engine), is the complexity of the OBDII system.
I've done engine swap before, but I always had the OEM schematic to guide
me in the wiring work. Since BMW information is not available, it makes
things more complex.

Another suggestion I received, that interrests me, is to install a
supercharger from a Thunderbird, or Buick 3.8 SC or other donor car. The
Thunderbird unit is interresting since it is a Eaton SC, like the one used
by Downing Atlanta for their Z3/318 kit.  Also it seems to be smaller, not
as tall as the Buick (Eaton) unit.  I would have to build a custom intake
manifold to replace the stock one. That would  be a good excuse to buy a
MIG welder setup to weld aluminum...

I'm still in the planning/development phase, so if someone has good tips or
web site to suggest me, feel free to do so.

Thanks again

Michel Drainville
91 318ic

PS:  Does someone know something about DBILAS DYNAMICS?  I saw a picture of
a M42 engine with four throttle bodies attached to it, and the parts were
written DBILAS on them. There was no more information on that companie,
only a picture. I found their web site, but it seems to be Deutch, so I
can't get information on what is availlable for the M42 engine.