Re: bmw-digest **virus alert**

bmw-digest wrote:

> bmw-digest          Monday, October 29 2001          Volume 09 : Number 1955
>
> Forum for Discussion of BMW Automobiles
>        Richard Welty <rwelty@domain.elided>
>        Digest Coordinator
>

> Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 01:05:34 -0800
> From: "Will Cantrell" <notslow@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: sorry about the garbage email
>
> I had a virus sending out garbage emails. Sorry to the list.
> Will Cantrell
>
> ------------------------------
I got the e-mail from Will, and not paying much attention (as well as
expecting a .pdf file from another Will) I hit the attachment link...a
.pif file extension, and got hit by the virus.
This virus is imbedded in the .pif file and manifest itself by going out
and looking for ANY executable running on your system, finding it and
attempting to rename it.
Luckily...on my system it went looking for networked executables and hit
the first one (which happened to be write enabled) and triggered the
virus scanner stopping any further activity...
so be warned!
- --
Paul Schnettler
UW-SSEC	 Univ. of Wisconsin - Space Science & Engineering Center
1225 W. Dayton St. Rm#547
Madison, WI  53706