RE:'92 535i questions

Here are some answers to your questions regarding your '92 535i stick.
 1)The 535i runs with the temp. gage at about 1/2 its
   range(straight up).Is this normal? Yes, it should be dead center.
 2)If its near overheating,are there any likely trouble
   areas?Make sure you take a look at your water pump & thermostat.
 3)any recomendations for parts,owners manual,shop
   manual,etc?
 4)Other than the expense of a dealer,is there a way
   that the codes for the audio system can be obtained?
   (oddly enough,I did get the "new owners" audio tapes
    with the car) Not really.
 5)What sort of longevity could I expect from this car
   at 161K? I have had this car since '92 and it is the best BMW I have
owned to date in all aspects (longevity, reliability, fun factor)The
odomoter has 215,000 miles on the original engine and it still runs strong.
However, this car is no Honda, you must spend the time and the money to keep
the car maintained.
 6)What should I check or be watchful of,at this point
   in the car's life?  If the water pump, thermostat, radiator have been
replaced some time in the near past, check over the suspension.  I had mine
replaced to a Bilstein heavy duty/Eibach springs set-up @110,000 miles and
it was overdue even then.

Good luck with the car.

Bertan