Re: Newby with questions on E34

Dennis,

I too have a '92 535i 5 speed w/95k that had 70k on it when I bought it.

1. Temp gage @ 12:00 is good; mine runs just a hair cooler.
2. My understanding is that the radiator is the weak link on this model;
mine was replaced by PO.
3. Buy a Bentley Service Manual (gold cover) about $70
   http://www.rb.com/product.htm?code=b595
Others can advise on a cheaper source.

Parts can be found on many places on the internet.
One of the better OEM stores is Hendricks BMW in Charlotte, NC 25% discount
on BMW CCA members, no sales tax (yet) on over the phone orders that are out
of state. Very good people there.
http://www.hendrickbmw.com/bmw_parts_dept.htm
Another good source for info is the www.bimmer.org E34 board
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/e34/
4. The 'Code' is to get the radio to work after power has been removed. You
can get this from your local BMW Dealer. I think you have to pull the radio
& give him the serial #, along with your ID and he may charge for this.
5. Some have posted upwards in the 2xxk range. At 95k, mine does not use any
oil from oil change to oil change (4000 miles)
6. You will need to look at most normal wear items. Rubber mounts (trans.
mounts, center drive shaft bearing, flex disk @ rear on trans., thrust
bushings) last about 10 years. Shocks & front end items about 100k.
It depends on how well the PO took care of it.

Good luck & e-mail me if you need more info.

Richard Vaughn
BMW CCA #132931 Tarheel Chapter
'95 740i w/new engine hers
'92 535i 5 speed mine