RE: Newby with questions

From: Harry Hargrave <d7nn7s@domain.elided>

> I just bought my first BMW car (used).Its a 92 535i
> with a 5 speed and factory alloys.

Congratulations!  I picked up the exact same year/model
this past summer and absolutely love it.

> The car appears to well cared for,though its showing
> 161K miles...

> 1)The 535i runs with the temp. gage at about 1/2 its
>   range(straight up).Is this normal? or it approaching
>   over-heating?

This is typical for my car the entire time I've had it.
This isn't conclusive evidence of normalcy, but at least
it is another data point.  Further, I think that BMWs are
basically logical -- i.e. the "overheat" area is clearly
marked and if you aren't close to it, there is no reason
to worry.

> 2)If its near overheating,are there any likely trouble
>   areas?(fresh thermostat,belts good,coolant topped up)

Your coolant is easy to check and eliminate from the issue.

The car does have a clutch driven fan, and the clutch does
deteriorate with age.  I would say that as long as the
temp gauge doesn't rise too high in stopped traffic in 90
degree weather, you are fine.  I have had a few occasions
where the needle crept up a bit past straight up, but it
never got close to the "danger zone", so I wasn't worried.

> 3)any recomendations for parts,owners manual,shop
>   manual,etc?

One word:  Bentley.  It is the best you can get for the
car.  Parts are all over the place.  Poke around at the
following link, but do ask on the lists once you have a
specific need:

http://www.bmwlinks.com

> 4)Other than the expense of a dealer,is there a way
>   that the codes for the audio system can be obtained?

Expense?  They SHOULD look these up for free with proof of
ownership. I've never done this except on our Honda, so I
can't say...

> 5)What sort of longevity could I expect from this car
>   at 161K?

If well cared for, these are 1/4-million mile cars.  The
"Big-6" is one of those engines renowned for being very
long-lasting.

> 6)What should I check or be watchful of, at this point
>   in the car's life?

The huge smile on your face every time you drive it...

Seriously, though, I can't help you much on this one, aside
from the normal worn out suspension bushings/shocks/etc. and
other wearable items (exhaust/clutch/brakes) if original.
Hopefully others will chime in...

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner