RE: E36 M50 fan removal

Nick Pashley [mailto:NickPashley@domain.elided] wrote:

> How is the best way to get the fan off, I have a 32mm spanner
> which is thin enough to get in, but which way do I turn the nut.
> I have read in my Haynes that the nut is a left hand thread, BUT
> I don't know how it attaches to the fan coupling, so does it
> need to go in the forward or reverse direction in relation to
> the car itself ?

Nick,
You loosen the left-hand threaded fan by turning it clock-wise and put it
back on by spinning it count-clock wise.
Standing in front of the car, put the 32mm (or 1.25") open-end wrench on the
fan nut and whack it (CW) with a rubber mallet, a hammer or just something
heavy. It may take a few blows to loosen it up. If the fan is not
cooperating, bring the engine bay temps up to engage the fan clutch and
repeat (the engaged fan clutch will no longer free wheel on the water pump).
Installation is the reverse. If you have difficulties threading the fan
clutch back on, you could try the following at the risk of severe injury or
gruesome death (mostly kidding): have a helper crank the engine (key in
ignition, kill it immediately if it catches) as you press the fan clutch on
the water pump. If you are crazy enough to try this, at least make sure that
the fan is stone cold (fan clutch disengaged).

> Also, the clips that hold the radiator, do I just lever them
> up from the rad or are they likely to break ???

You could not need to remove the radiator.
Take out the two expanding plugs holding the fan shroud to the radiator and
lift the shroud. This should provide plenty of room for replacing the
thermostat or even a water pump.
If you do need to take the radiator off, beware that those two plastic clips
holding it have gotten very brittle with age. Have at least one spare on
hand if/when your break one. You do lever them straight up, but it's one of
those cases where you have to do it yourself before you figure out how it
works.

alex f