Re: boogered torx head bolt on bellhousing

Jake Hahn writes,

<< As difficult as this sucker was to get to, I'm thinking I'm not the first
one
 to do this.  Has anyone been there and gotten through it?  Care to tell me
 how you did it?  This has not been a fun day.
 Thanks for any suggestions on this one, >>

BTDT....changing the clutch on an E30 has to be one of the worst wrenching
projects possible.  It's pure he*l....no two ways about it...especially the
bolts atop the bellhousing....whew.....if you broke one of the torx heads off
I'm not sure what to tell ya........I used a combination of sockets and
extensions to get at those top bolts, and felt my way "blind"...raised the
engine, then raised the engine, etc., etc. It's tough, tough, tough!

You have to have done it to understand it, unfortunately.

If the head came completely off, the housing should pull free I
suppose....just make sure the head is "completely" off.  Have you tried
loosening/removing the motor mounts to lower the engine down so you can get
at the bolt from the engine compartment?  If not, try that first...maybe a
hack saw blade, better yet an air hammer chisel....just shear the head off.

Once the tranny/bellhousing is off you can then use pliers/vice grips to
unscrew the threaded bolt.

HTH,

John Weese
BMW CCA #76646