RE: Tire Recommendations

MichaeL BecK [mailto:mbeck@domain.elided] wrote:

> I guess I should have also mentioned that:
>
> - -I live in the Appalachian Foothills, so I'm interested at
> least to some
> degree in snow and wet handling

As far as snow goes, I highly recommend a set of dedicated snow tires for
the winter, even if you don't live in a traditional Snow Belt area.  I live
in CT, and I run dedicated winter tires from Thanksgiving to a little before
Easter, knowing that I'm giving up dry road performance for traction when
the white stuff comes down.  All-season tires just have too much compromise
for me: too much tread void in summer, not an aggressive enough tread in
winter.

> - -I'm aware of the on-line / mail-order retailers and
> baseline savings
> available, but I figure by the time I add in paying for mounting,
> balancing, etc. and the hassle of getting them there (four tires will
> barely fit in a 328i) and subsequent service, I'll just
> support the local
> retailers

Some tire places (particularly the mass market ones) balk at mounting,
balancing, etc. customer-supplied tires, since that cuts into their main
profit margin.  Thus, they charge an arm and a leg to mount and balance
tires.

TireRack has a searchable list of recommended installers who "welcome the
opportunity to install your tires or wheels."  They'll usually charge a far
more reasonable rate for mounting and balancing, and many accept drop
shipments directly from TireRack so that you don't have to worry about
transporting the new tires to the shop.  Almost all of these businesses are
local auto shops, and the savings can be substantial: My Bridgestone RE730s
were $117 from TireRack, $186 at the local place.  Even with shipping and
the $21/tire mounting and balancing charge, I still saved over $150.

> - -Oh yeah, did I mention that we're talking about a
> 225/50/R16 wheel/ tire *-)

A very popular size.  You should have no trouble with choices.  Even if you
don't end up buying from them, TireRack is an excellent research tool.