Re: tampering with the odometer

If you didn't mind running without the speedometer as well as the odometer,
simply unplugging the plug that goes into the back of the differential stops
feeding the cluster and both meters.

I'd imagine that there is a way to modify the cluster itself, by breaking
some solder leads and soldering new wires into the circuit that would even
let you turn on and off the feed to just the odometer, but I think that would
be more work than its worth.

Wiring a switch to the leads that go to the diff would be easier, and I
suppose someone with a lease, and therefore incentive to lie, cheat, and
break the law (which I'm not advocating for the record) might go to these
lengths.

Check the wear on the brake, gas and clutch pedal for indications as to
mileage, that might tip you off as well.  Safest of all, is probably a
compression and leakdown test, the latter being slightly more informative I'm
told.

Alex Lipowich
M3 LTW, Euro 3.2, #8 BM
M6 HWT