RE: E30 highway vibrations

that is what i was suspecting... my 94 e36 has the original sports
suspension and i have brand new tires which balanced to zero...  yet i get
a little vibration at 45 but not at 90.... normally, if it is a balancing
problem the vibration will repeat at double the speed.... (as they fall in
the same frequency range....)

my question is, since i am here.....  i already noticed my tires getting
worn on the inside (all around, worse in the back) i have 17,235,40
my car came originally equiped with 15,225,50
would i be able to correct this camber problem with alignment alone? i
understand my car probably handles a little better with the camber as is..
but heck i paid 750 for those dunlops 9000
any input would be great... thanks

Nicolas Roman
Senior Engineering Consultant
North Miami Beach, FL.

                    John Bolhuis
                    <bolhuijo@bol        To:     bmw@domain.elided
                    huijo.com>           cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     RE: E30 highway vibrations
                    owner-bmw@dig
                    est.net

                    09/20/2001
                    01:30 PM

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 alex.fadeev@domain.elided wrote:

> Adam Lazur [mailto:adam@domain.elided] wrote:
> >
> > I begin to feel mild vibrations around 45 or 50 in both the steering
> > wheel, shift knob, and a little in the gas pedal when the vibrations
> > get worse. If I increase speed to 60 it gets worse and I get a more
> > serious vibration and a slight hum. The vibration then varies in
> > severity all the way up to 80.
>
> Adam,
> 55-65 mph vibration are frequently either out of balance tires or bent
> wheels.
> Just for kicks, swap your front/rear wheels and see if the vibration gets
> better/moves to the back of the car.

 Nobody has brought up the possibility of worn suspension
bushings.  These can cause vibrations too.  Have 'em checked!

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro

- --