Re: Subaru WRX and Audi S4 crush 330xi?

> BMW enthusiasts,
Have no worry.  Here is an article on the new 3 series coming for 2002.
Courtesy of AutoExpress.
> 2002 BMW 3-Series
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it... unless, of course, you are talking about
the BMW 3-Series. The definitive compact executive has been a monumental
success, but the German firm has taken its best-seller back to the drawing
board and made it even sharper, visually and mechanically, in a bid to keep
one step ahead of rivals such as the new Audi A4, Mercedes C-Class and Jaguar
X-Type.
> Auto Express was first to find out if the result really is the best 3-Series
ever. Although the styling changes are not being made to the coupe and
cabriolet versions, a revised engine line-up is to be offered across the range
which includes the new 143bhp 2.0-litre Valvetronic, as well as a revised
2.0-litre diesel. The company has also made improvements to the chassis and
will offer a state-of-the-art semi-auto gearbox on flagship models.
> On the nose, a new wider kidney grille, front valance and headlamp cluster
provide the car with a more assertive stance. A fresh rear valance has been
added to the saloon and Touring, but only the four-door gets an updated rear
lamp cluster. Swing open the door and changes made to the interior trim give
the 3-Series a smarter and more luxurious cabin. Meanwhile, under the skin,
BMW's engineers have concentrated on the handling and feel.
> These were already impressive, but revisions include new springs and a
steering rack which promises greater feel and precision. Start the engine in
the 318i and the refined 2.0-litre four-cylinder instantly settles into a
relaxed idle which is so quiet only the rev counter confirms it is running at
all. In fact, it almost matches the six-cylinder 320i for smoothness. The
throttle response from the 318i's 145bhp unit isn't far behind either, with
instant reactions thanks to its Valvetronic variable timing system. At
cruising speed, the car's 200Nm of torque is instantly accessible even from
low revs, making motorway driving less stressful. It's faster, too, knocking
1.1 seconds off its predecessor's 10.4-second 0-60mph time and reaching 135mph
instead of 128mph. However, as is the case with all great engine innovations,
the UK-built unit also offers better economy. A combined figure of 39.2mpg is
a 3.9mpg improvement over the old 318i, and emissions have dropped, too. On
the road, the suspension settings p
> The 330i saloon proves equally compelling to drive thanks to BMW's new SMG
gearbox, which offers the thrill and convenience of the recently launched BMW
M3 SMG for a fraction of the price. Changes can be controlled using paddles or
the conventional lever and, although it isn't identical to the M3's unit, it
works equally effectively. So even though the last 3-Series wasn't broken, BMW
still seems to have improved it. And that's sure to leave rivals in a fix...
> BMW's engineers have created the finest 3-Series we have yet driven. New
suspension, engines and options combine to make the car more competitive than
ever. We particularly like the 2.0-litre Valvetronic engine, but are also
impressed by the SMG sequential gearbox. Competition in the compact executive
market has just got even fiercer...