Can't get into gear

I have a '97 M3 5spd and for some reason, I am not able to get it into gear
anymore.  I am able to get it into first gear with some effort (I have to
search for it) but that's it.  It drove fine this morning.  After I picked up
a friend, I couldn't get it into gear anymore.  There is nothing there when I
try to put it in any other gear.  Does anyone have any clues on what the
problem is?  I do have a UUC short shift installed if it makes any
difference.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Paul