RE: dakar question

Alex,

I remember seeing the color question on a Car show in the UK. Top gear I
believe it was. But it was almost a year ago, so things could have changed.
Silver seems like the obvious choice now. But it was blue for years.

I love the new blue and yellow, not that I'd buy the blue, but the Pheonix
Yellow looks great in person, hopefully it wont sell well and they take off
that god awful 10K+ fee and I'll get one. Of course all I've heard here in
the US is negative. Where as the opposite from overseas; in Italy and
France people seem to think odd colors are futuristic.

Jay
'95 M3 Dakar

                    alex.fadeev@v
                    erizon.com           To:     jmiller@domain.elided,
                                         vetickbmw@domain.elided
                    09/10/2001           cc:     bmw-digest@domain.elided
                    12:11 PM             Subject:     RE: dakar question

jmiller@domain.elided wrote:

> Honestly it's the best car I've ever owned. I would buy it again.
> I've had it for 2 years and I'll probably keep it forever. Dakar
> yellow is definiety a european color. Americans buy non-color
> styles: Black, White, silver. Where as blue is the most popular
> color is Britain and France.

Ahem, Jay,
What's your source for the above statement?
I remember reading in one of the auto mags that the most popular color in
both Europe and US is silver, closely followed by shades of white and gray.
Than the preferences diverge with Europeans going towards 'electric' colors
while US still entrenched into basics {black, red, green, blue, etc}.
AFAIR, one of the least popular colors on both continents was yellow ;-)

> BMW still makes a yellow color which I believe is Dakar II.

Nope.
The current M3 puke-yellow color is called "Phoenix Yellow Metallic". IMHO,
that color rivals "Laguna Seca Blue" for the butt ugly award.
Non-M3 yellow is "Light Yellow Metallic". I haven't seen that one in
person.
Neither one is anything like the old Dakkar Yellow I or II.

alex f
'95 M3 Avus Blue