Re: web based list

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 15:58:35 -0700, Brandon Whitehead wrote:

>If the list is interested in going web based, your best bet is yahoo groups.
>I am the moderator of the E21 list.  As a note, it would take a lot of
>donations to make a web based list.  I know, I do this sort of stuff.  It
>takes awhile.

to reiterate:

a web view of the digest archives will be appearing shortly, based on
MHonArc (http://www.nacs.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/mhonarc.html). a
previous experiment with MHonArc failed because of file locking
problems on the old krusty; they appear to have been resolved by
the introduction of the thoroughly modernized server, as the pilot
running on another list is pretty well behaved.

you can see the MHonArc pilot on digest.net at
/alfa/archive/v8/

the general roll out, however, will be delayed until "address
cloaking" technology is introduced so that email addresses are
blocked from casual access by spammers. i have a volunteer working on
it right now.

posting will still be restricted to email only; i have some thoughts
on how to handle posting from a web form, but there is a need to be
careful to prevent abuse of such a feature. i am working on a demo
version of one of the products for my current startup project, which
will be implemented using a web interface to postgresql using php; by
the time i'm done with it, i should have a pretty good handle on the
comparatively simple problem of tracking web users.

finally, since most, if not all, of the archives of postings going
back to the  beginning of this list (late 88 or early 89, as i recall)
still exist, it should be possible to break them out and build web
archives going that far back. i don't know if this is a good thing or
a bad thing, but it should be feasible, with a perl script to break
messages out of digests and shovel them into MHonArc.

cheers,
   richard