Re: Subject: this list

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 21:01:25 -0400, Shemp wrote:

>>Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:49:00 -0400
>>From: "Eric M. Hunt" <bmw1@domain.elided>
>>Subject: this list
>
>>Is it me or is this list becoming harder and harder to read (and
>>reply).  Is it possible to move this list to the web?  I think that
>>would be a change for the better and would make the list more
>>functional.  Not to mention I could access the list from wherever I am.

we're going to retry the MHonArc web archive in the near future. one
of the bright spots to come out of the recent hacking episode is that
the new krusty is on a much stronger software basis, and MHonArc may
work more reliably than it did before. i'm running a pilot with
another list, and if it stays stable, i'll bring it up for the rest of
the lists. a prerequsite, though, is providing a gatekeeper of some
sort to keep spammers from easily scraping email addresses. i have a
volunteer working on that right now.

>Before you complain, have you ever considered thanking Richard Welty
> -  rwelty@domain.elided, who has created the software which
>provides you this "harder to read" forum?

i didn't write majordomo, Brent Chapman wrote the early versions and
others maintain it now. however, i did select it and maintain the
server.

>He does this for a slim, or read - NO real profit.

well, actually, i've probably lost on the order of low 4 digits over
the years.

> Richard is an automotive enthusiast, and a generous one at that.

generous or perhaps simply dumb. my wife would say the latter. i don't
feel like arguing the point with her any longer.

> He created and administers all of the Digest's.  The BMW Digest is
supported
> solely by the advertisers who sign-up to support this BMW Digest.

and by a small group of web hosting customers of krusty. i do provide
some web sites for hobbyists and clubs. during the era of free
hosting, i didn't drum up much business, but now the free hosting
companies are all going out of business because their financial models
suck, so maybe i'll pick up a few.

>Now I would politely suggest that before you suggest moving this list
>to the web, you do your homework, get up to speed on the software
>and sever development Richard is going through on your unappreciative
>behalf, and somehow become appreciative of what you truly don't
>deserve to criticize in the first place.

i think this is slightly harsh; i've not put the time into supporting
these lists that i'd like to have over the years. the balkanization
that produced the UUC offshoot years ago was in part because i wasn't
able to devote the time that was really needed. once that sort of
thing happens, it isn't likely to be reversed, regardless of changing
circumstances.

as it is, i'm trying to do some significant upgrades and get a startup
funded at the same time, and things are a might busy right now.
additionally, i need to find some IP network consulting work too
(anybody got VC money or need a consultant? i'm available. see
http://www.averillpark.net/rwelty-resume.html).

cheers,
  richard