E30 Seat belt won't release

When I went to get my 4 year old daughter from the rear seat, I was
surprised to see that the seat belt mechanisim didn't want to work. She was
prisonner in the car. I had to pull a lot of slack to let her slide in
between the booster seat and the belt itself.
Imagine if that happens in an accident when you have to go out in a rush!
It's scary...

Anyways I will have to fix this. Is this a common problem on these car? (91
318ic)  How can I have the buckle to unlock without destroying it?

Thanks

Michel Drainville
91 318ic