E34 - 535i Headlight Problem

Recently, I noticed that my pass side low beam on my 1989 535i (E34) was
out.  The funny thing was I didn't get a message on the dash.  So, I took
the bulb out and went to get a new one.  Once I took the bulb out, I got a
message about the bulb on the dash.  I put the new bulb in, the dash message
went away, but the light still didn't work.  Looking at the old bulb, its
looks okay which would explain why I didn't get a dash message in the first
place.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I have a hard time believing its a broken wire
somewhere since the sensor did detect that the bulb was removed.

Thanks,

Pat V.
1989 535i (E34)