RE: e36 Plastic Water Pumps

David Morrison [mailto:davidm3286@domain.elided] wrote:

> Is there a way to tell if my 96 328i has the dreaded
> plastic pump?  I understand they changed in 96... is
> there a way to tell?

David,
AFAIK, 6/96 production month was the cut-off.
5/96 and earlier production cars have the plastic impeller pump. 7/96
metallic. 6/96 is a tossup.
Check the date of production of your car and proceed accordingly.
FWIW, metallic impeller pumps are not indestructible and should also be
replaced before 100K miles. BMW has also come out with _new_ plastic
impeller pumps that supposedly last longer than the brittle originals.

> Or should I just assume my 96 is living on borrowed time at
> 77k and replace it as preventative maint?

You should consider a water pump replacement in the not so far future
anyway, but knowing the type of the pump you have now might add some urgency
to that process.

good luck,
alex f