<WTB> M42 for '91 318is (terrific engine failure)

Hello all,

Does anyone have a M42 motor for sale?  I'm looking for new/rebuilt or very low mile used motors.  I can pick up or arrange for shipment to the SF Bay Area.

At 115k miles, my 1991 318is has been diagnosed with multiple engine problems that would require either a complete rebuild or a new engine.  It failed every test thrown at it.  Compression was 190, 148(yikes!), 200, 200.  The block subsequently failed a leakdown test in cylinders 2 and 4 (10 and 20% leakage, respectively).  Upon bench testing the head, the valves in cylinder 2 failed a leakdown test as well.

I can get this motor rebuilt, but I'm hoping someone has one of these motors available for less than the cost of parts and labor for a rebuild.  $$$$

The obligatory story behind this is that the head was rebuilt 40k miles ago by a very reputable BMW tuner (at great expense) because the head was cracked by overheating due to loss of coolant (profile gasket failure).  The motor should have lasted well over 40k miles after the rebuilt head was installed, it was a daily driver with mostly freeway miles and no track time or driving schools.  To make matters worse, during tear down it was discovered that the cam timing (set by the same very reputable BMW tuner) was off by what must have been 30 degrees relative to the crank!
(That explains a LOT.)
I paid a fortune for that rebuilt head.  I suppose it could be worse, but I think it would have to involve some sort of fire or explosion.  :)

I can't spend $3000+ on a rebuilt motor from the dealer; that's half the value of the car and I'm a student.  Please help!

Many thanks in advance,

Mike Crotty  :)
1991 318is (needs some work)